Why write?

"If you don’t write, you can’t really be aware of who you are. Not even mentioning of who you are not."
Pascal Mercier

Thursday 22 November 2012

Is it hard to make a stand?

You hear a song sometimes, and there's just one line getting into your head. That's usually a line your brain insists on misinterpreting. It just stubbornly doesn't want to put it in the right context. The line grows, the words give rise to an image, and you start to laugh, as the new life you've given to those lines is so refreshingly bizarre.

This is what recently crossed my mind when listening to Sheryl Crow's: "It's hard to make a stand" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Nb9YdYRcw). Sure it's hard, especially if it's a large stand with lots of display products. One at Hannover Messe, for instance. You really need to involve a professional company for that - don't try to build it yourself, or it will look terribly amateuristic and will not attract much audience.

I see this advertising spot in my head: you remember the hilarious series "the Neighbours" from Czechoslovakia? Those two guys helping each other with their small household repairs, but as they don't have much skill, their 'repairs' usually lead to ruin. Let them try and build a stand for a company, say, for Black and Dekker or Bosch or something of that sort.

They try to knock together some walls, a reception desk, some seating area, they arrange their hand tools on display, only to watch everything fall apart seconds later.
This is the moment Sheryl Crow comes with her 'it's hard to make a stand' and a voice-over: 'we know how to make it easy' voila!

I'm not sure if she would agree, after all she does say something about miscreation later on in the lyrics, and that this isn't really what she meant. But Sheryl Crow really is a very good singer and I think she's worth taking the effort. Who knows, with some convincing she might agree to endorse a stand-building company.

"My friend, o lawdy,
Went to take care of her own body,
And she got shot down in the road
She looked up before she went,
Said, "This isn't really what I meant"
And the daily news said,"Two with one stone"
And I say, "Hey there, Miscreation,
Bring a flower, time is wasting"

And now, suddenly, we're talking about death and flowers,which brings me to another song, "Killing me softly". This one usually makes me think of euthanasia (it doesn't make me consider euthanasia, it isn't that bad, it only brings the topic of euthanasia unwittingly to my mind). This is how lyrics get a life of their own.
Or death.

No comments:

Post a Comment