Why write?

"If you don’t write, you can’t really be aware of who you are. Not even mentioning of who you are not."
Pascal Mercier

Saturday 13 October 2012

Icon


“If you try to be an icon then the icon becomes you
If you try to be a model it will catwalk over you
If you try to walk in straight shoes the these shoes will bend you too
If you try to be a kid again then the kid will kidnap you”
(Daan “Icon” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZp9z_vX5E)

I’ve always wanted to write something inspired by that song, but I couldn’t think of anything that would be of any added value to those delicious lyrics. They simply speak for themselves, and do it so playfully: “if you try to be a model it will catwalk over you”. Mmm…
I believe Susan Sontag when she says that any interpretation is a by-product of a disappointment with the text itself. The critic would actually prefer the book to be somewhat (or completely) different and he or she writes a long essay interpreting what the author might have meant. As if he simply didn’t mean what he said. The lyrics of the song above didn’t disappoint me, and therefore I’m not going to bore you with interpretations. Let them be.

Had it not been for the last Friday morning in the office, I would have probably resisted the temptation to quote the “Icon” at all. That morning however I tried to print an excel document on my usual printer, but after pressing the “print” button I heard no reassuring murmur (“I’m doing it! I’m doing it!”) of the machine. I walked up to the printer, assuming it needed more paper. But that wasn’t the reason of this sudden lack of cooperation. The display said “CHOSEN PERSONALITY NOT AVAILABLE”. I blinked my eyes. The text was still there. I asked a witness. He confirmed. Chosen personality wasn’t available indeed.

The machine just kept repeating the message, no matter how often you pressed the “print” button or reset it. It just wasn’t available. I only had no clue which personality I had chosen by mistake. I don’t even know  where that option is on my PC.
Well, you know, my dear printer, that’s very kind of you to give me this kind of advice. The problem is, I really don’t know who I am, let alone my personality. But as I have to appear to know that, like most normal people do, I just chose something at random. Apparently, that’s a very popular  personality type, something many others choose, too. Sooo many others, that the type is out of stock.

That might be a gap in the market, and you, working in a marketing department, should know that. If this particular personality type is so much in demand, why don’t you re-print it in thousands? You’re the printer, that’s your cup of tea. And don’t tell me tea’s finished, too. I’m sure there’s some more on my desk, so help yourself and re-print my personality type for Monday morning at the latest.
It’s a very bad start of the week, to learn you’re out.

No comments:

Post a Comment