Why write?

"If you don’t write, you can’t really be aware of who you are. Not even mentioning of who you are not."
Pascal Mercier

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Right Brain Nirvana

There’s a kind of people that I call “digital”. They think in 1-0 sets. True or false. Right or wrong. And if they cannot decide directly whether it’s a 1 or 0, they will analyse it using appropriate tools and come up with a conclusion.

Sometimes I envy them, as it’s much easier for them to make decisions. While me, not trusting analyses,  I don’t have a fool-proof tool to make them. The decisions. Which doesn’t mean I’m always hesitant. No, sometimes I’m as sure as one can be, only I can’t put a digital finger on the exact reasons why. Just a gut feeling. A very strong one (there’s nothing weak about my guts).
I recently read about a very tempting book by Daniel Pink on that topic. His proposition appealed to me as truly irresistible. It’s irresistible as it says that right is right and it’s right to be so! The right brain is just as, or even more,  important than the left one. I’m right! I’m right!  

I’m my right brain, that’s what I wanted to say by this seemingly arrogant exclamation. It is the one that makes me. The rest is just details.
Contrarily to what people who are in love with technology will say, the analogue will rule the future. The analogue as the opposite of the digital. For me, the analogue stands for: the right brain, the intuitive, the big picture, the creative (it doesn’t really directly stand for that for the general public, but there are analogies:  I’ve just learned from my private engineer that analogue means mechanical, or using changing physical quantities such as voltage to store data. Oh, yes, the changing physical quantities. They travel through my brain when it delivers the feeling to my guts, resulting in a gut feeling. Analogue is therefore my private little protest against the digital. And by the way, a metaphor is analogous, too: it’s translating one domain using the terms of another one).

Old fashioned analogue is the future. Not in technology, but in people.
The book I’m talking about is “A Whole Mind: Why Right Brainers Will Rule the Future”. The book is “about the two forces that are making our left-brain capabilities increasingly obsolete in business. The first is outsourcing. The fact that someone abroad can do a job equally well but for less money than you can means  that these days companies are not looking so much for left-brain workers. (…) But what they can’t outsource is your creativity, your empathy with customers, your playfulness, your big-picture thinking and all the other habits this book is about.  (…) The second force is computers ”  (quoted after S. Hashemi “Switched On”). Aha! The digital machine will make the digital man obsolete. I need to learn more about it, to warn some fellow-digitals that they need to go analogue. Daniel Pink is about to be added to my shopping basket.

Just as, one day, another incredible book ended up there “My Stroke of Insight” by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D. A brain scientist herself, Ms. Bolte experienced a left-brain stroke in her thirties. The hemisphere where language and logic centres are located, went off. What she was left with was the right brain, and, while she was struggling to recall the proper course of action in such a case (calling an ambulance wasn’t something that directly came to her ailing mind) she experienced feelings of “tranquillity, safety, blessedness, euphoria, and omniscience.” She describes this experience further like this: “deep within the absence of earthly temporality, the boundaries of my earthly body dissolved and I melted into the universe.” She put the phone in front of her trying in vain to recall a number to dial – the neurons coding numbers were now swimming in a pool of blood. The digits were gone. What she was offered instead was nirvana.
Fortunately, she both survived the stroke and fully recovered from it, after a surgery and eight years of revalidation. I was delighted to read about her journey and realise that somewhere in the right side of our brains there resides a possibility of experiencing a oneness with the universe. In Jill Bolte Taylor’s words: “Wow, what a strange and amazing thing I am. What a bizarre living being I am. Life! I am life!

I dream of a true digit-free relationship, with no touch screens between us. There’s no 1 or 0, and nothing is for sure but one thing: that we are life.

No comments:

Post a Comment