Why write?

"If you don’t write, you can’t really be aware of who you are. Not even mentioning of who you are not."
Pascal Mercier

Friday 14 December 2012

The Blessing of Glasses


Being shortsighted, I need my glasses to make something out of the “reality” surrounding me. Without them, this “reality” becomes quite surreal, and I can’t tell one person from another if they are at more than 50 metres from me. I can’t find my exit from the highway and I probably wouldn’t be able to tell a rabbit from a squirrel, had it not been for squirrels climbing trees. If it’s running quickly and moving up along a tree trunk, it’s likely not a rabbit’s kin.
But when I take off my glasses the world doesn’t change. I might claim things instantly become very blurred, but they become like that just for me.

So I wonder how the world is for those who don’t need any vision help in the form of a pair of spectacles. Is it spectacular? Always sharp and very true? Does it leave no doubt? Is it nice this way?

Despite being simply a prosthesis, glasses might be of some more use. They helped me find a solution for the moments when the world becomes bad and people seem evil. I just take myself off and put it, the “me”, on the bedside table.  The blessing of glasses is that you can always remove them.

I don’t need to wear them to have clear dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment