Why write?

"If you don’t write, you can’t really be aware of who you are. Not even mentioning of who you are not."
Pascal Mercier

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Rain, again

“Here comes the rain again” sang Eurythmics long ago. I rather liked the song, but never appreciated the coming of the rain, and certainly not when it was “again”. The rain started two days ago. The nauseating, persistent variety, leaving no hope, smelling of no rainbow, just rain.
In Polish we say that kids get bored when it rains… By now I’m behaving like a perfect child – I’m bored but you wouldn’t say. I have an instant remedy – to read.

Reading is a cure for both blazing sun and heavy rain. For chilly mornings and hot evenings. For a busy day and a lazy holiday afternoon.  So I pretend I’m not there, hiding away from the kids who are bored, and don’t see reading as a remedy and insist on testing whether noisy outdoor activities can also be practised inside. To everyone’s regret – it turns out perfectly possible.
I retreat to my sanctuary upstairs and read about dreamers. What a nice word, dreamers, already containing a “rea” in them. I don’t know all the words in English, but I noticed that many of those containing “rea”, except for diarrhea of course, are pleasant.

“Reason” and “dream” might be opposites, but they both contain the charming “rea”. The dreamers invent impossible theories, and the reasonable part in themselves (or other reasonable people) test them, implement them or discard them. All creation is metaphorical, intuitive and necessitates the invention of alternative worlds according to P. Cieśliński (in the article I’m referring to). All three – metaphor, intuition, invention are the domains of the dreamers.
All this rain brought me a very good idea for an invention. A true gap in the market.  Ironic and practical at the same time. If I could paint, I’d certainly put it on canvas, but as I can't, I'll just describe it.  That’s a contraption that would free the people from rainy countries from their addiction to weather forecasts: it’s an umbrella with built-in sun in the inside section. Would you care about the rain, if you had your own, portable, spirit-lifting sun within a hand’s reach?

I don’t have to bother about the (minor) practical issues, such as how to place a sun under an umbrella. I’m the dreamer, not the realist. But I’m sure that the sun exists even if it rains, so it must somehow be possible to bring it to where I need it. As a Frequent Flying Witch I’ve risen above the clouds many times, be it on board an airplane, on my private broomjet or just in my mind. And I’ve seen the sun, shining there, undisturbed, lightning up the cloudy floor.  Just get it down for me, and place it under an umbrella. If you need a network of mirrors to capture the rays and bring them down from up there to down here, then I offer you the space on my jet, free of charge. I’ll stop with giving you practical hints here, as practice is your domain, not mine.
And if you manage to do it, my reasonable and logical friend, I’ll even be happy for a while. I’ll talk like lovers do.  I’ll walk in the open wind, under my new umbrella, dreaming of rain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment