Why write?

"If you don’t write, you can’t really be aware of who you are. Not even mentioning of who you are not."
Pascal Mercier

Sunday 8 July 2012

Small heads, big insights

Wisdom by T. and S., my sons, my love:
Non-conformism redefined:
T, seeing the wild peaches on the kitchen table:
-      What are these, mum?
-      They are called wild peaches.
-      Oh, I know why they are called “wild”. That’s because they don’t want to be round.
Being at peace with who you are:
T, seeing a monk in his usual attire, i.e. brown cassock, belted with a piece of a simple rope-like thing.
-          Mum, I don’t want to become a priest when I get older.
-          That’s ok, son. Why this conclusion now?
-          Because I can’t tie knots.
-          Fair enough. When you’re older, you can become whoever you wish.
-          But I don’t want to become anyone. I want to stay your child.
Searching for alternatives:
My kids can easily place their feet in their mouths, for no particular reason, but for fun. Once they performed this trick in bath, and I expressed my admiration:
-          You two are really good in it, I wouldn’t manage even if I tried!
-          So try. – says S., encouragingly.
So I tried, and I failed.
S. sticks out his little foot out of the bathtub, and offers help:
- You can try mine, if you want!
All kids are philosophers, only a few stay like this when they  grow up:
S., at the age of 2, looking at me, and touching his head:
“I have a head, too.”
Noticing links that aren’t obvious:
When we go on holiday, we usually stay in the countryside, visiting the city nearby from time to time. To T.’s regret, I’m always tempted to go and visit a shopping mall when we’re there. Like most little boys, he’s not a big fan of shopping, especially not the kind that involves spending hours in the changing room.
Therefore, his preference goes to staying in the countryside, running around, climbing trees, swimming and exploring his grandfather’s garage. Once he made a curious observation:
-          Trees make it impossible for people to go shopping. That’s why there are hardly any in the city.
Scientific insights:
After a long flight above the clouds, when the plane has landed: “Clouds can fly, but they cannot land”.
Questioning prejudice:
“Why are God and Jesus boys?”
Knowing the right moment:
On a walk back from school:
-          S., what would you like to do this afternoon? Think about it, please.
-          I can’t think when I  walk.
-          Why?
-         You can't think, without your head rested on your palm.
 
Parenting advice:
-          If you keep misbehaving like this, you’ll have to go out and wait in the garden till you’ve calmed down. – I said angrily to T.
S. offered criticism and good advice:
-          Mum, you don’t know how to treat kids.
-          Don’t I? How should I treat kids then? – I showed interest, open to all good parenting advice.
-          You should be kind.
-          And I’m not? – there was just 1% of hope he’d deny, but I tried nonetheless.
-          No. – my 1% was gone. - You told T. he’ll have to stand outside, and that’s not kind. It’s cold.
-          What should I have done then, if he keeps shouting and wouldn’t listen?
-          Put a tape on his mouth. – and after a while, he added – Or earplugs in your own ears.



No comments:

Post a Comment